Do You Really Need Your Teeth Cleaned Every Six Months?
Here are a few things to consider…
- Having your teeth professionally cleaned every 6 months allows the hygienist to remove stains and plaque from your teeth that your tooth brush and floss might miss. The missed plaque eventually hardens on the teeth into tartar. Inadequate removal of tartar (especially below the gumline) can be irritating to the gum tissue and cause bleeding (gingivitis), pain, bad breath and may lead to gum disease (pocketing of gum tissue around the teeth and loss of bone support for the teeth).
2. Getting an exam twice a year allows the Dentist to check your teeth and look for any signs of decay or changes from your past visit. While you won’t need x-rays every 6 months, having a dental exam can help identify and correct small dental problems before they get worse. It also gives the dentist an opportunity to do an oral cancers screening twice per year.
3. Some people need to have their teeth cleaned more often than 6 months. If you have a fast rate of decay and tend to get cavities quickly, it is important that you not only go twice a year but possibly more frequently to help prevent dental problems. Other candidates who may require more frequent visits include smokers, diabetics, pregnant women, and those who already have been diagnosed with gum disease.
4. Most dental insurance companies pay for two cleanings and exams per year, so you might as well take advantage of a benefit you already pay for.
5. Best of all—don’t you love how your teeth look and feel after they are professionally cleaned?